TCEP is a water-soluble, odorless, non-toxic and stable protein reductant. This potent reducing agent is a popular alternative to ß-mercaptoethanol and DTT (dithiothreitol) use for most applications. The reduction potency of TCEP is twice as high as that of DTT, and TCEP is effective in reducing proteins over a wider range of pH conditions, including lower acidic pH ranges (pH 2-11), compared to other reductants.
Since TCEP is a charged molecule, it cannot penetrate hydrophobic environments. Therefore, the use of a denaturant, acidic condition (pH 2.8-5) or basic condition (pH 9-11), is recommended for effective reduction.
TCEP reduces stable disulfide bonds in less than 5 minutes at room temperature and is compatible with the protein alkylation reactions.
For more reducing agents, click here. for TCEP Reducing Gel
- Chemical Name: tris(2-carboxyethyl)phosphine, HCl
- Synonym: TCEP, Hydrochloride
- CAS Number: 51805-45-9
- Chemical Formula: Câ‚‰Hâ‚â‚…Oâ‚†P•HCl
- Molecular Weight: 286.65
- Form: White crystalline solid
- Solubility: Hâ‚‚O (5mg/ml)
- Reduction of protein and peptide solutions